Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Newcastle Emlyn in Perspective

I feel I should apologise for uploading yet another version of this view, but this is taken using the Tokina 12-24 f/4, and I can't help feeling it worthy of your consideration.

Shooting at these focal lengths is something else - views become vistas, pleasant leading lines become epic sweeps into the heart of the frame. I love the way this lens renders colour too.


I think this shot is almost pedestrian by comparison, although I will admit a weakness for the extreme perspective of the Tokina in making that comparison. This is the same view, shot with my F90x, Vivitar 28-90mm and Fujichrome Velvia RVP. I do like the colour, but I wish I'd bracketed the exposure to keep more of the sky.

The New Castle
The New Castle, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

This is another polarised Velvia shot - looking at the sky, you may see a hint of that...

I'm really very fond of this shot - the astonishing colour of the sky, the result of using the circular polariser with a heavily saturated film like Velvia RVP, those clouds, and the ruins all set each other off wonderfully. For anyone wondering, this is pretty much straight off the scanner, and yes, the slide does look like that.


My last Welsh shot of the day is this, another taken with the intention of making it an establishing shot for my White Suit project. I'd hoped to get a shot of the proprietor too, but sadly we left before I could pop in.

No comments: