Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Eightbit vs Ghost Patrol


Eightbit vs Ghost Patrol, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

Today's entry to the DVD Forums Photo a Day in July challenge is this, a study of some relatively new work on Stevenson Square, in Manchester's Northern Quarter.

Shots of brightly coloured subjects like this are always something of a gamble on black and white, and I'm never quite sure that I'm seeing tones, not colour.

Still, I'm pleased with this one, and it won out of a more conventional view of the NQ from this camera and film (Nikon FE, Arista Pro 50), and the 3rd July's shots from the F3 and Agfa APX400 (the Midnight Macro Session I complained about in this post).

I think the tension between the modern artwork and older buildings, and the slightly vintage feel of the film works well.

For today's PaD shooting, I wandered over to the Manchester International Festival's "Chilled Summer Treats" event. I love the way this is set up - brightly coloured beach hut style structures hold the preparation and serving areas, whilst the noise of sea and seagulls is piped out over the participants. Well worth going to see, particularly if you remember your colour film, which sadly, I didn't. (Let's hope I was seeing in tones).

As of now, my frame counters stand at 16 on the F3, and 17 on the FE.

No comments: