Sunday, August 19, 2007

Shopfittings

Shopfittings
Shopfittings, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

So, back to the July Photo a Day challenge, with this shot from July 22nd, now that all the films are processed and scanned. First off is this shot, taken on the Manchester Flickr group's meet a few weeks ago. I took about 16 frames at the meet, and eventually plumped for this view, down a rainy street in the Northern Quarter.

It was great to meet some other Manchester photographers, although I'm not sure that the pub/photography balance wasn't slightly off...


Untitled, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

This is the first shot I took of this gentleman, (I really have to start asking people's names) and the one I liked the best, I have to say, which makes it July 23rd's photo of the day. A thoroughly nice bloke, and a great character.


Untitled, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

This is the second uploaded shot from the 23rd, and I really struggled to choose between the two. Here, he's explaining to a curious customer (the F3 I was using not being a discrete camera) that grocery is only his day job, and that he's really a model "...for corn plasters..."

Larger versions of this are at the lab now, and I'll be dropping the prints off to him hopefully at some time next week.

The next two shots are both taken with the FE, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-N, and Efke KB100. This isn't a film I've used before, and I think I like it. July 24th's shot is this one, a chance opportunity I spotted on the way back from the city centre.

I think I've mentioned before that I'm not overly keen on the "candid" "Street" photography aesthetic in my own stuff, I'd far rather ask, and engage with people a little. However, I do like the combination of the billboards and the guy eating his sandwiches by the canal.

I find the advertising around the "Origin" building site rather annoying, (I suspect that I'm not the target demographic, having said that). It's nice to see its pretensions punctured slightly by the lives of Mancunians going on around it.

63
63, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

Another shot from the FE + 50 f/1.8 AF-N + Efke KB100 combination rounds off this post, with this photo representing July 25th. This is a fairly stereotypical urban grime shot, which I guess bookends nicely with the shot that opens this blog post.

Again, I must apologise for my absence from posting and commenting - I will, however, offer the advice that fitting mudguards to a bike is a job best left to your bike shop. Believe me.

No comments: