Thursday, June 28, 2007

By the Seaside


By the Seaside #2, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

This is probably my favourite thing from my time in Wales, if not my favourite thing so far this year.

I LOVE this shot.

For me this evokes holidays anywhere by the sea in Britain, the neat tablecloths, the HP Sauce ready to enhance a morning fried breakfast, the view over the beach parking to the sea... I like the reflection that hints at this establishment's prime location on the prom. I love the fact that the Adox film has given this a timeless feel.

It could be better of course - had I had the nerve, I'd have sneaked in and rotated the HP Sauce so the label showed, instead of the jarringly modern barcode, and perhaps I could have found the owner of the car in the reflection and asked them to move it.




By the Seaside #1, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

Another, more straightforwardly evocative shot of the seaside here. The placement of flags is the result of an incredibly complex game that my son was playing with them. I could not explain how they ended up in the configuration they did, but I'm sure it all makes sense to eight year olds.


Shadow, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

This is a detail of the Gate and gatepost at Brynifor Cottage, where we were staying (in Penbontrhydyfothau). I took lots of versions of this (or lots in terms of film shooting anyway, which equates to three frames). I liked this one best.


Gate, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

Of course, midway through shooting the wall and gatepost, my daughter walked back to the house, which made for a far better shot in any case. This is simply scanned in, no pp has been done on it at all. I have to say, the CHS50 looks really good in this, and the other shots from the roll. The vignetting is that present on the original negative from the Vivitar lens.



Door, originally uploaded by John the Monkey.

Lastly (and correct chronologically too, for once) is this picture of a gently flaking door in Newport (Pembrokeshire). There'll be more from Newport over the next few days, as it's an astonishingly beautiful place.

No comments: